- 1 An Artist’s Eyes, a Surgeon’s Hands, a Feminine Touch
- 2 Associations, Societies, National Training, and Speaker
- 3 Synopsis of Plastic Surgery Training
An Artist’s Eyes, a Surgeon’s Hands, a Feminine Touch
Dr. Kimberly Short, born in 1964 and raised in Evansville, Indiana, attended the Indiana University School of Medicine. She completed her general surgery and plastic and reconstructive surgery training at Butterworth Hosptial in Grand Rapids, Michigan.
Being a perfectionist, she was drawn to plastic surgery as her surgical specialty. Cosmetic surgery, a very specialized part of plastic surgery, changes rapidly, and Dr. Kimberly Short felt that obtaining additional training, specifically in cosmetic surgery, would benefit her patients. She completed several fellowships with experts in the field of cosmetic surgery to learn the most advanced techniques and train with both national and international experts in breast, body, and facial rejuvenation procedures.
These fellowships, dedicated to aesthetic surgery, allowed her to learn the safest and most modern techniques. It is important to note that less than 10% of plastic surgeons have actually completed fellowships in Aesthetic or Cosmetic Surgery.
The first fellowship included cosmetic surgery of the entire body with special emphasis on eyelid surgery and the second concentrated on facial cosmetic surgery. She also trained with national experts in the fields of laser surgery, skin care, chemical peeling and endoscopic surgical techniques for the face and breast. Her international experience includes visiting surgeons in France, England and Scotland and spending time at the Moorfield Eye Hospital in London, where she learned additional techniques in oculoplastic (eyelid) surgery. Following her extensive training, Dr. Short and her family settled in Indianapolis where she opened her solo practice.
As a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon and Diplomat of the American Board of Plastic Surgery, Dr. Short is also a member of the American Society of Plastic Surgeons, The American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery, Midwest Association of Plastic Surgeons, Indiana State Medical Association, Indianapolis Medical Society, Fellow of the American College of Surgeons, and a Fellow of the International College of Surgeons.
Dr. Kimberly Short has presented her research at national and international meetings and has written articles on breast, eyelid, and nasal surgery. She also received special recognition for her work in breast surgery. She not only speaks at national meetings but also attends regularly to stay current on the latest techniques in plastic surgery. Dr. Kimberly Short is a member, speaker, and trainer of the National Education Foundation of Botox® and Radiesse Medical Education Foundation. Her practice is recognized as a national training facility for Botox. Dr. Kimberly Short is a consultant for the National Council of Leaders for Breast Aesthetics and for Mentor’s LEAD Program, which is the Leadership, Experience, and Development for Breast Augmentation.
Dr. Short feels it is important to create rapport and trust with all of her patients and therefore dedicates much of her time to educating her patients about the procedures they are considering.
As a female who has had cosmetic surgery, Dr. Short can relate to her patients and their recovery process from personal experience. As a mother, she understands the many changes women experience throughout life. Dr. Short’s gentle, personable approach allows patients to feel very comfortable with her and their decision to pursue a cosmetic procedure. Dr. Short has four children, plays soccer, and enjoys reading and decorating, as well as outdoor activities.
Associations, Societies, National Training, and Speaker
- American Society of Plastic Surgeons (ASPS)
- American Society of Aesthetic Plastic Surgery (ASAPS)
- Midwest Association of Plastic Surgeons (MAPS)
- International College of Surgeons
- Indiana State Medical Association (ISMA)
- Indianapolis Medical Society
- Association of Women Surgeons
- Faculty and National Trainer for Botox National Mediation Education
- Faculty for Radiesse Medical Education Development
- Consultant for LEAD (Leadership, Experience, and Development for Breast Augmentation)
- Consultant for National Council of Leaders for Breast Aesthetics
- Speaker for “Shaping the Face of Aesthetic Medicine-Advanced Techniques”
- Speaker for “Staging Augmentation and Mastopexy” Procedures
- Speaker for “Incorporating the SPAIR Mammoplasty (Breast Reduction) into your Practice”
- Speaker for “Clinical Experience Combining Ultrasound assisted Liposuction (UAL) and Extneral Ultrasound”
Synopsis of Plastic Surgery Training
Plastic Surgery Residency-Grand Rapids, Michigan
- Broad variety of “General” Plastic Surgery Procedures
- All Breast & Abdominal Reconstructive/Cosmetic Procedures (including Breast Reconstruction, Reduction, and Augmentation as well as Tummy Tucks)
- “Face” Flaps for Microvascular Reconstruction of Traumatic Wounds with Facial Cancer Removal with Reconstruction of Eyelids, Nose, Cheek, and Lips
Additional Training – Beyond General Surgery and Plastic Surgery Residency
Aesthetic Surgery Fellowship-Norfolk, Virginia; James Carraway, MD, FACS
- Included Oculoplastic Surgery with Eyelid Surgery; Aesthetic Surgery of Face, Breast, & Abdomen.
- This fellowship involved primarily cosmetic surgery except for the reconstructive eyelid surgeries.
- Dr. James Carraway has an International reputation for facial and eyelid surgery and sees patients all over the country.
Cosmetic Surgery Fellowship-Miami, Florida; Baker, Gordon, Stuzin, & Baker, MD, FACS
- Included Facial Cosmetic Surgery, Endoscopic Breast Surgery, and Laser Resurfacing.
- This practice of surgeons popularized the techniques for chemical peels many years ago and have written many medical textbooks on cosmetic surgery and our national speakers at plastic surgery meetings and forums across the United States.
- This practice holds an Annual Cosmetic Symposium every year for over 30 years.
Training in Europe
- Dr. Short spent four weeks in Paris working with five different surgeons.
- Her experience included training on the Ultrasonic Assisted Liposuction technique, facial procedures (endoscopic and traditional), superiosteal facelifts and a variety of breast surgery techniques.
- She learned different approaches to traditional techniques and a number of new techniques from experts in the fields.
Great Britain and Scotland
- Her second training continued with four weeks in Great Britain where she learned more about reconstructive and cosmetic eyelid surgery at the Morefield Eye Hospital, an internationally recognized institution in London.
- She completed her experience in Glasgow, Scotland, where at Canniesburn Hospital she assisted with Microvascular procedures.
Laser Experience-Virginia Beach, Virginia; David McDaniels, MD, FACS
- While in Norfolk, Dr. Short had the opportunity to spend time with Dr. McDaniels, a nationally recognized expert in laser treatments of all types and a consultant for several laser companies.
- Dr. McDaniels has many publications in the laser field and continues to be active in research concerning new laser technology.
Endoscopic Surgery Training
- In addition to a number of symposia and a dedicated training course for certification, Dr. Short also spent ten days working with Dr. Oscar Ramirez in Baltimore, Maryland.
- Dr. Ramirez pioneered the field of Endoscopy for Plastic Surgery and developed the plastic surgeon’s training course for certification.
Ultrasonic Assisted Liposuction Training
- While in Paris, Dr. Short worked with Dr. Eric AuClair, who has been doing ultrasonic assisted liposuction for many years prior to FDA approval in the United States.
- Dr. AuClair conducted trials on four different ultrasonic assisted liposuction machines and has written articles of the pros/cons of each device.
- Dr. Short has also completed the plastic surgeon’s training course for certification in this technique.
- With this experience, Dr. Short brought the first FDA trial for the Ultrasonic Assisted Liposuction Technique to St. Francis Hospital and assisted in FDA approval.
Skin Care Training
- Nearly every office in which Dr. Short has trained with as part of her post-graduate training, from residency through her fellowships, had a skin care program so her skin care experience is very comprehensive.
- This included the use of prescription and non-prescription medications to improve skin heath.
- In addition, Dr. Short worked with one of the national representatives/trainers for the BioMedic system in Miami, Florida.